Thursday 20 June 2013

My Latest Cooking Experiment - Vegan Aubergine Pasta

I do enjoy my dairy and eggs, and even the very occasional fish and chicken, but I also like to eat vegan foods only for a week or two at a time. It makes me more alert and boosts my energy levels.
This is a vegan recipe I tried recently. The aubergines make it quite meaty and filling. 

Ingredients - Serves 2

200 g pasta
1 small courgette
1 onion
2 celery sticks
1 small aubergine or 1/2 of a large one
3 heaped spoonfuls of frozen petits poids
4 spoons of olive oil
3-4 spoonfuls of tomato passata
1-2 tomatoes
salt
fresh parsley or thyme to season
Method
 
Slice the onion and celery sticks and boil them for 3-5 minutes. Top up the water in the saucepan, bring to boil again, then add the pasta and chopped courgette.
Gently heat 4 spoonfuls of olive oil in a non-stick pan and add the chopped aubergine. Cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes till the aubergines start to golden, then add two spoonfuls of water and continue cooking with the lid on, till the aubergines have softened throughout.
Defrost the petits poids in a cupful of hot water.
Drain the pasta, add the petits poids, the aubergines, the tomato passata and chopped tomatos. Add the herbs and salt to taste.

It is nice eaten warm, but it works well as a cold pasta salad too – not bad at all for the lunch box.


1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I love aubergine! I have a organic plant in my back yard. Why would any one want to go back to eating pus, feces, super bugs, fish diseases, mercury, antibiotics, and hormones after eating vegan for a week?

    ReplyDelete